Dating someone new can be exciting and it can also be challenging—especially if it has been a while since you’ve been on a date. Here are some key do’s and don’ts that you should keep in mind if you want to have a successful first date.
- DON’T dominate the conversation. While it is important to communicate when you’re getting to know someone, you don’t want to talk more than the other person.
- DO be attentive and listen to what is being said. Sometimes you may just want to nod and agree with whatever is being said, it’s not always a good thing. If the subject matter isn’t appealing to you, try to steer the conversation onto something you both can discuss.
- DON’T look at other people or your phone when they speak. Not only is this rude, it shows the other person that you don’t care what they are talking about.
- DO maintain eye contact while conversing. Eye contact is pretty important because it lets the other person know that you’re listening to them and that you’re focusing on only them.
- DON’T assume that someone is interested in you. You may be attractive and have had plenty of people who are interested in you, but don’t be narcissistic. People have very different tastes and you may not be everyone’s ideal catch.
- DO be humble and appreciative when someone compliments you. If someone pays you a compliment, it’s usually because they mean it. Accept the compliment and say thank you. You’ll find that it’s a nice confidence booster!
- DON’T go out on a large group date if it’s a first date. They point of a first date is to get to know the other person. Save the group dates for further down the road, like date 3 or 4.
- DO use the first date to get to know them. First dates are considered the discovery dates. This is where you will learn stuff about your date that you may not have known before. Ask engaging questions that requires a conversation and try to avoid questions that can be answered with a ‘yes’ or ‘no’.
- DON’T pretend to be someone you’re not. If you’re not an athletic person, but the person you like is… Don’t pretend to be athletic. You aren’t doing anyone any favors by pretending.
- DO be yourself. If someone is going to date you, it should be because they like who you are and they like everything about you.
- DON’T play hard to get. While you may think it’s cute to play hard to get; it really isn’t. More often than not, people don’t have time for games. If you like someone and they are pursuing you, tell them that you’re interested too. There’s no harm in admitting it.
- DO be approachable. Contrary to popular belief, people don’t like to play guessing games. If someone feels like you’re stand-offish or you have a chip on your shoulder, it is rare that they would put in much effort into getting to know you. By being approachable, you’ll find that more people will want to get to know you.
Clickandflirt.com is a worldwide online dating site. For more dating advice and tips, visit https://www.clickandflirt.com/