When someone dealing with POP (Pevlic Organ Prolapse) or SUI (Stress Urinary Incontinence) finds out that there is a surgery that can cure them of these embarrassing and unfortunate conditions, they tend to jump right on board. Unfortunately, there are complications that could happen. Like any surgery, there is a risk. Although the patients are usually willing to take that risk in order to start living normal, happy lives again, the complications are usually caused by faulty products that shouldn’t have been used.
What Types of Mesh Are Used?
The 4 types of mesh that could be used in surgery are:
- Absorbable synthetic mesh – This mesh is used to help the body heal itself by slowly degrading overtime, supporting the organs while during the healing process.
- Non-absorbable synthetic mesh – This is a mesh that will help support organs forever. It doesn’t degrade and will continue to be present in the body.
- Biological mesh – This is mesh that is made from using animal tissue. Like the absorbable synthetic mesh, it degrades over time. This mesh is used for people that might have a bad reaction to the synthetic mesh.
- Composite mesh – This mesh can be made using a combination of any of the other mesh types. Each person’s situation is different, so sometimes it is important to have a mesh that only partially degrades.
What Complications Can Faulty Mesh Cause?
At this point, you are probably wondering what complications could mesh possibly cause. Well, there are many different reactions that people have had, but the two major complications are going to be the erosion of the mesh and also organ perforation.
Organ perforation happens when the edges of the mesh penetrate nearby organs causing extreme pain and bleeding. It can also affect the way the organs work and will eventually require another surgery to help repair the cut organs. Erosion of the mesh happens over time and can really cause you some discomfort, infections, bleeding, and other horrible conditions.
If the mesh is the wrong size or the wrong type, it really increases the risks of these complications, which is why it is important to know your doctor/ surgeon and also have lawyers ready. Some other symptoms you might have could include one or more of the following:
- Nerve damage
- Vaginal scarring
- Excessive pain
- Recurring prolapse or incontinence
- Emotional damage
- Neuro-muscular problems
- Painful sexual intercourse
- Vaginal shrinkage
Who To Talk To If You Suffered From Unnecessary Complications
If you are suffering more than you should just because a certain product shouldn’t have been used in your surgery, then you should really find a qualified lawyer to assist with getting compensation. The lawyer will need to know exactly what to expect in these types of cases because the mesh that is created will usually come from extremely large corporations. This means that the lawyer you hire will need to go up against some of the highest paid lawyers in the world. If you are having trouble figuring out where to find a lawyer that has won cases similar to yours in the past from meshlawsuits.org. They specialize in your type of situation and will be able to provide you with a lawyer that will go above and beyond for their clients.
It really is unfortunate that you or your loved one has to go through such a painful and embarrassing time, but that doesn’t mean you don’t deserve compensation to live a better life. You deserve everything you need to live a healthy and normal life, so contact a lawyer as soon as possible.