COAF is building its second SMART Center in Armenia, this time in the Armavir region, replicating its flagship SMART Center in the Lori region inaugurated in 2018. Armavir is the region where COAF’s s journey toward rural development in Armenia started in 2003. This competition aimed to get landscape-specific, innovative, and sustainable design strategies interpreted through a creative architectural concept for the new COAF SMART Campus and in particular for the COAF SMART Center in the Armavir region. The construction of SMART Centers across all regions of Armenia is an ambitious initiative, aimed at making quality non-formal education accessible to rural youth while introducing multilayered development opportunities for children and adults alike.
The site is positioned between the Mounts Ararat and Aragats.
Site coordinates: 40.173355, 43.887473
90 ha (222 acres) campus area
932 m above sea level is the lowest point
1,014 m above sea level is the highest point
55 km (34mi) far from Yerevan
17.9 km (11mi) far from Armavir city
22 km (13.6mi) far from the Armenian-Turkish border
5.5km (3.4mi) far from the H17 main road
This international architectural competition, organized by the Children of Armenia Fund (COAF), was open and required registration.
There was no application fee, but registration was mandatory to be able to receive the Competition Package.
Participants were required to maintain strong confidentiality throughout the competition and not identify themselves or release any design proposal images etc. to any third parties or media outlets until an official announcement has been made. This included also written / online announcements and visuals by an individual or legal entity on participation, images, and visuals that can reveal the participation in the competition.
ALL THE DETAILS REGARDING THE COMPETITION TERMS AND CONDITIONS ARE AVAILABLE IN THE COMPETITION BRIEF.
The competition jury consisted of nine professionals, the majority of whom were architects from Armenia and abroad. London-based architect Mr. Michel Mossessian chaired the jury.
The jury members are:
- Albert Zurabyan, RA Honorary Architect, zaart Architects (Armenia)
- Aram Pakhchanian, Education Expert, Ayb Foundation (Armenia)
- Arsen Karapetyan, Architect, d’arvestanots Studio (Armenia)
- Elija Kozak, Architect-Urbanist, MVRDV (The Netherlands)
- Ia Kupatadze, Architect, Associate Professor at Illia State University (Georgia)
- Korioun Khatchadourian, COAF Managing Director (Armenia)
- Michel Mossessian, Architect, mossessian architecture (UK)
- Philip Gumuchdjian, Architect, Gumuchdjian Architects (UK)
- Sarhat Petrosyan, Architect – Urban Planner, SP2 (Armenia)